Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

Food Allergy Awareness Week



     I know I have not blogged in a while but this subject is near and dear to my heart. I have a daughter with multiple severe food allergies. She is anaphylactic to Milk, Egg, Peanuts, Tree Nuts and Sesame Seed. 
     Governor Herbert of Utah declared this week as Food Allergy Awareness week. So in honor of this I will be posting information to help raise awareness of why food allergies can be such a big problem to those that have them. And tips to help you be allergy aware when you are around someone who has a food allergy. Feel free to share this so we can educate people about Food Allergies and what it really is all about. 
Information # 1
When somebody has a severe food allergy or has a history of anaphylactic reactions they don't only have to eat it to have an anaphylactic reaction. A lot of people think well if they don't eat it they are okay. Right? Wrong.
My daughter has had an anaphylactic reaction to a drop of milk getting in her eye and cause her to have an anaphylactic reaction. If the protein from the milk or the egg or the peanut butter, or whatever the allergy is,gets in the body through the mouth, nose or eyes, it can cause an anaphylactic reaction. So for instance, if my daughter sits at a table that has had peanut butter on it and she touches that peanut butter, then if she touches her nose, mouth or eyes it can cause her to have an anaphylactic reaction. 
Tip # 1
If you or child is eating something that someone around them is allergic to, wash their hands and mouth after and try to get as much of the residue off.
Also, try not to let your child carry their food on the playground while they are playing on the playground at the park or school. Kids love to play there and if the peanut protein has been left, or milk or other allergen, etc. it can cause a problem for unknowing allergic children that play after.
Also if I hand your child a wipe and ask them to wipe their hands and mouth after I see them eating something my daughter is allergic to please don't be offended. It just helps me let her play without worrying as much about her safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment