Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Leave it All on the Track

  “Leave it all on the Track.”  
Photo Credit TrackandFieldPhoto.com
This is a term I used as a mantra through my running career that I now carry over to my life as a mom.

In every race I ran I tried to run my hardest, run my fastest, give it everything I had that day. I always wanted to step off the track and be able to say “I left it all on the Track, I left it all out there. I have no regrets about that race. I did everything I could to run a great race.”  I didn’t want to take the race with me and know that there were things I could have done better.  I wanted to know that I did everything I could to run the race the best I could while I was on the track.

This is me in one of the few races that I fell to the ground completely drained, knowing that I left it all on the track. 


     The reality is that there were many races that I came off the track feeling like I could have done more, I could have worked a little harder in that 3rd lap or I should have gone with that girl when she made her move. Or I could have gotten on my toes and dug a little deeper at the end of the race instead of getting passed. But the reality is also that those races helped me become a better runner and try again the next race to do a little better and leave it all on the track again. There were very few races in my career that I felt like I did leave it all on the track. But as a whole as I look back on my running career I look back with fondness and great memories for the races, for the teammates and the friendships cultivated there. I also look back on who I have become through the sport of running, and I am pleased. I am pleased with the whole picture. As I look back on the whole I do know that I left it all on the track. I know that all races where not perfect. But I know that I worked hard, I gave it my all, I made mistakes, I worked hard to correct them and I improved my self. Some times I fell backwards and had to pull myself up. But over all I did Leave it all on the Track. 

As I have transitioned my life into wife and mom to four little ones my mantra has now become, “Leave it all in the home.”


     I try everyday to be the best mom that I can be to my kids and the best wife that I can be to my husband. I Work hard from sun up to sun down, and sometimes (or a lot of times) through the night as well.  I give everything I have to taking care of and loving my little ones. Teaching them and guiding them and showing them the world around them. Somedays I fall into bed at night exhausted, but pleased with how the day went, feeling accomplished, saying to myself “I left it all in the home today.” 
     Other days, or should I say most every day, I fall into bed at night looking back through the day at all the things I could have done better. I could have had more patience with my 2 year old when he wanted to go potty by himself and clean him self up as well, making a huge mess in the bathroom through the process.  I could have applauded his determination and independence to take care of himself instead of yelling at him for making a mess all over the place.  I could have controlled my temper when my 10 year old lost his temper. I could have been more understanding of why my daughter wanted to wear old holy leggings instead of cute new school clothes I bought her. (she wanted to wear the leggings because we were going on a run and that is what I wear to run.) 
     I could have done a lot of things better this day. But the reality is everyday is not perfect. There may be great moments in the day that I relish in and there may be crappy moments in the day that I wish I had handled better. But it is all those moments, the good and the bad that help me realize what I can do better the next day. So I try again. Day in and day out trying to leave it all in the home.  And when I look back on my life as a wife and a mother I hope to be able to say, with a pleased, yet exhausted body and soul. I did everything I could. I gave it my all at this mom thing. I left it All in the Home.  

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and profound. My deepest gratitude to you for sharing. Please help me to learn and understand the concept of "with and exhausted body and soul" How do you embrace that? I don't like the me I am when I am too tired. Exhausted is not pProductive for me. Yet as a mom, business owner, wife, and childcare provider and lover of people I tend to be that way. How do you feel pleased at it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. I never know if my thoughts make sense. I just enjoy getting them out there to try and help myself and others understand life. In answer to your question. I don't do well with exhaustion either. I think the being pleased part comes in with knowing why I am so exhausted. Knowing that what I am doing is for the good of my family and others around me. I actually do like hard work and grind. I like pushing my body in the sport of running to see what it is capable of. I love the sense of accomplishment when I reach a goal that I didn't think was possible. I think that motherhood and life can be the same way. The day to day life is the work and the grind. It gets hard and tiring. But the end result of what we are striving for is what makes it worth it. I am okay with being exhausted when I know what I am doing is good when I know it is making a difference in my family and other people's lives for the better. When I lie down at night and can actually breathe for a minute and think back on the day. I can look at the moments that were tough, and find some triumph or accomplishment that came from a tough, exhausting situation. I can also look at those hard times and find failure, but that is where the learning and trying to be better the next day comes in. I also know that when I give it my all and try to do my best in all that I am doing I have a Savior and a Father in Heaven that make up the difference. When I am totally exhausted and think that I can't handle something I turn to prayer.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful and profound. My deepest gratitude to you for sharing. Please help me to learn and understand the concept of "with and exhausted body and soul" How do you embrace that? I don't like the me I am when I am too tired. Exhausted is not pProductive for me. Yet as a mom, business owner, wife, and childcare provider and lover of people I tend to be that way. How do you feel pleased at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Lida, very well put! I think we all can relate to having few days that we had it totally together. What would be the point if we were automatically perfect at being a mom or wife or what ever in life. I think so much of life is about the jouney and learning how to Become. You are an amazing mama, because you try, and that really is all that matters at the end of the day. And then thank goodness for tomorrows right? I'm always thankful for a new day to try to make up for the mishaps of yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Lida, very well put! I think we all can relate to having few days that we had it totally together. What would be the point if we were automatically perfect at being a mom or wife or what ever in life. I think so much of life is about the jouney and learning how to Become. You are an amazing mama, because you try, and that really is all that matters at the end of the day. And then thank goodness for tomorrows right? I'm always thankful for a new day to try to make up for the mishaps of yesterday.

    ReplyDelete